The world seems to be getting smaller by the day! It is getting cheaper to fly to parts of the world; it bothers me that you didn’t think possible 20 years ago. If you are planning a visit to another country, you may need to consider buying a dual voltage hair straightener.
The last thing you want is a hair straightener that will not get hot enough. Supplying the incorrect voltage to your hair straighteners may also result in a faulty product! Costly, right?
What Is Dual Voltage?
Dual voltage means your electrical device can support 110-120 volts and 220-240 volts.
If you have a dual voltage hair straightener, it means all you need to do is buy a converter for the country you are visiting.
You do not have a dual voltage flat iron that means if you have purchased them in the UK, they will not work in the US. The power supply from sockets in the US is half of that in Europe.
Your flat irons may not be able to get to the required heat level for them to work efficiently.
Countries throughout the world have a different voltage from their power outlets. If you plug in a device that does not support the voltage supplied by the power socket, your device may fail, cause injury, and the warranty will not cover it.
It is essential to understand the differences and make sure you will not break your expensive hair straighteners!
Which Countries Use Which Voltage?
It is fair to say that most of Europe has power sockets that supply 220-240 volts for electrical devices. North America, South America, and some Islands between the US and Australia supply 110-120 volts.
Although this can be used as a guide, DO NOT plug anything in until you check your visiting country.
A useful resource for checking can be found here, so check the voltage before you travel.
Best Dual voltage hair straighteners Comparison Table
|Product Name||Max. Temp. (F)||Heat-Up Time (S)||Plate Material||LCD Screen||Auto Switch Off||Rating|
|GHD Platinum Plus Professional Performance Styler||446||20||Ceramic||No||No||4.3|
|GHD Max Styler||446||30||Ceramic||No||Yes||4.0|
|Cloud Nine Original Straightener||392||20||Ceramic||No||Yes||N/A|
|Kipozi Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener||450||15||Titanium||Yes||Yes||4.7|
Best Dual Voltage Hair Straighteners Review: Top 5 Products
GHD Platinum Plus Professional Performance Styler
If you thought the wishbone hinge that we mentioned earlier is the unique feature of this hair straightener, you’re in for a pleasant surprise. It also comes with ultra-zone technology, the topmost innovation when it comes to hair straightening. Here is why you should consider spending some money on this one.
Reasons to buy the GHD Platinum Plus Professional Performance Styler
- Ultra-zone technology: this technology predicts the needs of your hair. The straightener “studies” your hair strands to determine their width. Once it has gotten the thickness of your hair, it adjusts its power to suit your hair’s breadth. You can never go wrong with this one.
- 365F optimum styling temperature: this model also automatically monitors heat. It does this at a rate of 250x per second. Doing so helps keep the styling heat at an optimum 3650 F. This is just the right amount of heat to prevent hair breakage and burning. In fact, it is proven to prevent hair breakage by 70%. You will also discover its 2x color protection capability.
- Quick heat-up time: in this fast-paced world, the last thing you want is a hair straightener that takes forever to heat up. Luckily, this one only takes 20 seconds.
- Ceramic flat iron: when charged by heat, ceramic iron releases negative ions. These neutralize the positive ions available in your hair. This counter activity prevents static energy. The result is a smooth glide of the plates, which is efficient for hair straightening.
- Universal voltage: GHD Platinum Plus Professional Performance Styler is equipped with universal voltage ability. This means that you won’t need a transformer to switch the electric current to power your hair straightener. Do you know what that means? You can use this tool anywhere you go.
- Rotating barrel: a spinning barrel is attached at the rear of this tool. It holds the 2.7m cable together with the hair straightener. This enables you to hang it somewhere (out of reach of children) after use.
If you have long hair, then this is one of the best dual voltage hair straighteners you will find. This is because it comes with extra-large plates (length 85mm and width 50.8mm). The wideness of the plates enables them to grab longer tufts of hair effortlessly. But is a wide heating pad all you need? Definitely not. Below are other features that make this model well worth your consideration.
Reasons to Buy GHD Max Styler
- Ceramic heat technology: this tool is equipped with ceramic heat technology. It is a common mechanic in the GHD range of hair straighteners. You probably know by now that this technology counteracts static energy. That is not all; it also prevents the cuticle of your hair from becoming raised. Raised cuticles allow moisture to pass through your mane, leaving it dry. It also causes frizz. Trust me; you don’t want frizzy hair. GHD max styler dual voltage styler is here to prevent that from happening.
- 1850C optimum styling temperature: this is the most appropriate styling temperature for most people. If the styling temperature goes beyond 1850C, your hair is likely to burn. Your scalp may get damaged as well. On the other hand, a styling temperature below this will produce unsatisfactory results. It will also consume a lot of your time. Keep it optimum at 1850C.
- Fast heat-up time: GHD Max Styler heats up within 30 seconds. The quick heating time saves you time.
- Automatic sleep mode: the straightener will switch itself off after 30 minutes of inactivity. Let us face it, most of us straighten our hair during the early morning rush. In the haste of things, there are chances you may forget to switch off your hair straightener. With this device, you don’t have to worry about the house being blown up if you forget to switch it off.
- Universal Voltage: allows you to power your hair straightener wherever you go. You don’t have to buy a current convertor to use this while away from home.
- Sleek design: the GHD Max Styler is sleek and gracefully curved. It has a body length of 263mm.
The name says it all! This model will leave you in Cloud Nine. One feature that will elevate you to this state of glee is the straightener’s ceramic floating plates. And they are infused with minerals to add that classy touch. Many people are switching to this state-of-the-art brand of hair straighteners. Find below the reasons why you should jump on the bandwagon.
Reasons to Buy Cloud Nine Original Straightener and Styling Iron
- Ceramic plates infused with minerals: if you have been following keenly, you know why ceramic plates are preferred. They ease static energy, and also, they heat evenly. In Cloud Nine, a golden element is added underneath the ceramic floating plates. This element is a mineral called tourmaline. Tourmaline releases negative ions to neutralize static energy. It also enables the straightener to work efficiently without producing much heat. In addition, the presence of tourmaline makes the thickest and toughest of hair straighten with ease.
- Temperature control: this model is equipped with five options of temperature control. You can adjust the flat iron from 1000C to 2000C. This means that, regardless of your hair texture, you will still be able to use this tool. Regulate the temperature to suit your hair texture. For example, if your hair falls under the thick and coarse category, a temperature between 1490 C to 1770C will suit you. Some straighteners can’t handle that kinky afro. Not Cloud Nine original.
- Microcomputer-controlled heating: a microchip (MiCOM) found in the motherboard of the straightener helps control the temperature. This top-notch tech adjusts the tool’s temperature in accordance with the thermal sensors. If the sensors study your hair and find it has a fine texture, the straightener will adjust heat accordingly.
- International voltage: this straightener can adapt to a power source ranging from 100V – 240V, 50Hz ac. In other words, you can use your Cloud Nine original straightener on the go. You won’t need new adapters for every new location you move to.
- Quick heat-up time: It takes only 20 seconds to heat up and get ready to be used.
- Swivel cord: Cloud Nine comes with a long swivel cord. When the chord swivels, it does not intertwine as you’re straightening up your hair.
- Hibernation: If you forget to turn your Cloud Nine original straightener before leaving, you have no cause for concern. It automatically switches off after 30 minutes of inactivity. This saves power and prevents electrical faults.
When purchasing a hair straightener, you need one that can straighten a whole lot of tuzzes with just a single glide. This model does that easily, thanks to its 1.7-inch titanium floating plates. If you have thick hair, which is difficult for you, here is a tool that can make hair straightening easy. If you look at its other features, you will realize that it does not only serve people with thick hair. As a matter of fact, it is suited for all types of hair. It is ranked among the best dual voltage hair straighteners. The reasons are below:
Reasons to Buy Kipozi Professional Titanium Flat Iron Hair Straightener
- A revolutionary heater: it’s equipped with a Nano-titanium heater. “Nano” means it releases ions. These ions neutralize the positive electrons in your hair. This mechanism prevents static energy. We mentioned earlier that static energy hinders smooth straightening. The technology also prevents frizz in your hair. The “titanium” is the material that makes up the floating plates. It is longer lasting than ceramic. In addition, titanium heats up faster than ceramic plates (15 seconds).
- LCD screen: this hair straightener comes with an LCD screen to help you monitor temperature settings. This will help so that you don’t go overboard with temperature adjustment and burn your hair. Similarly, it will ensure you don’t use too little heat and end up with insufficient results. After all, you can monitor all your temperature readings from the screen!
- Wide temperature range: it starts at 1700F and can go all the way to 4500F. This is arguably the widest range a hair straightener has. A wider range makes it more accommodating for different hair types. You read that right. This tool has got you covered whether your hair is thick, thin, kinky, frizzy, or curly.
- Auto-shutoff: this unit will shut itself down after 60 minutes of inactivity. You don’t need to worry about electrical damage or power wastage if you forget to shut it down yourself.
- Dual voltage: the hair straightener supports dual voltage. This means it is compatible with 110 -120V and 220 – 240 V. Therefore, you can use your hair straightener anywhere as long as you have a travel adapter.
- Swivel chord: it has a power chord that swivels. This prevents the cable from tangling up while you use the hair straightener.
- Durable handle: you don’t need to replace your straightener every so often.
- This product is heavier compared to other hair straighteners out there. It weighs 1.61 pounds.
Remington offers efficiency and makes styling a fun activity. The titanium-coated plates heat up quickly in just under 30 seconds. When heated, the dual voltage hair straightener glides through your hair easily and smoothly.
Reasons to Buy the Remington S5500 Dual Voltage Hair Straightener
- It is anti-static: have you ever tried rubbing a plastic object, say a ruler, against your hair severally? The hair sticks to the plastic object. That is what is called static energy. It occurs when hair directs its charged electrons to the ruler. The negatively charged hair becomes attracted to the now positively charged ruler, causing the two to stick together. Now picture using a hair straightener like that (there are many out there). It would be a cumbersome experience. Remington S5500 reduces static energy by 50%. The anti-static technology in this straightener will make your hair straighter than the ruler and in no time at all.
- 1-inch floating plates: the slimmer the floating plates are, the better. This is because the plates experience minimum friction from surrounding hairs. The 1-inch floaters in Remington S5500 are ideal for hair straightening. They allow it to glide smoothly and efficiently through the hair for maximum straightening.
- LCD screen for heat control: the LCD screen has buttons that help you regulate heat. Very little heat may not achieve the best results. Insufficiently heated flat irons are also time-consuming. On the other hand, the extremely heated hair straightener can damage your hair and scalp. Extreme temperatures also deplete the natural moisture in the hair. Consequently, you will be left with brittle hair that lacks moisture. Once you’ve figured out the comfortable temperature for your hair, it becomes easy for you to regulate heat via the LCD screen.
- Auto shut-off feature: an auto shut-off feature allows your hair straightener to power itself off when not in use. This particular model goes off after 60 minutes of inactivity. You could be in the early morning rush to work and forget to switch off your straightener. The auto shut-off feature will help you save power.
- 4100F maximum heat: if you have hair with a tough texture, you will need significantly high temperature. Tough hair isn’t easily straightened unless the heat is set high. This model allows up to 4100F temperature.
- Swivel cord that allows you to handle the straightener flexibly
- 85mm straightener plates. They are long enough to reach every hair strand
- 120 volts’ power input
- Smelly flat iron – Although the Remington S5500 has arguably the best functionality, its flat iron may produce a smell similar to a burnt electrical fuse. The good thing is that the smell becomes less intense each time you use it. It will eventually fade away.
So there you have it. An in-depth analysis of the best dual voltage hair straighteners that you will find in the market. It is important to note that the best way to identify the right straightener for your hair is understanding your hair first.
Some straighteners work best with certain hair textures. Hair length is another determiner.
Good luck with whichever option you go for!